Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chalkboard




Surveying her handiwork, she nearly stepped on his foot while wiping her chalk-dusted hands on her apron.


“I’m sorry, but that quote isn’t by Shakespeare,” he whispered over her shoulder, his breath tickling her ear. She spun around, looking first into an athletic, broad chest and then upward, meeting his amused eyes.


“I was hoping to meet someone who knew that,” she smirked.

“Yes, it’s a quote by Arrigo Boito often misattributed to the Bard.” He smiled more broadly, exposing his dimples. “I’d love to discuss this over coffee, though.” His raised eyebrows queried his hopes.

“As soon as I’m off duty, say 10:00 p.m.?” Her own arched brow and a saucy smile answered and challenged.

“But you must tell me the source of this quote, and whether used in an opera.”

He grinned, delighted. “Ten it is, right here.”

She nodded. “Deal. I’ll be waiting. How can I help you now?”

“A table for two, suitable for a business lunch. My client will be here in a moment.”

As she gestured to a waiter, he leaned over her shoulder again, to whisper, “Verdi’s Falstaff, Act Two.”

She smiled back.

And they knew.


___________
Copyright © 2013 Femme Malheureuse
Words: 196
Originally submitted to fan fic flash fic - Week 10
Photo prompt: origin unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment